Recently, I was nominated for a “Super-Specific Liebster Award” by Matt over at Normal Happenings!
“Why did you put that in quotes?”, you might ask.
Well, something I’ve noticed about Matt’s question style is that he enjoys asking fun and, as the title would suggest, super specific questions in response to these awards. While he nominated me for another of these a while back, I sadly had some issues in life and missed the first train to respond to- so I’m making an effort to respond to these wonderfully ridiculous and thought-provoking questions in this post. I mean, I think we all need a little levity and my posts don’t tend to veer in this direction, so I’m glad to try something new!
Before I start, though, and speaking of something new- I met Matt and encountered Normal Happenings when he posted a search for contributors to a project he wanted to put together about Games That Define Us. I’ve been wanting to contribute or work on a project with some folks so I held my breath and sent an e-mail. Ever since, this guy has been super supportive and pleasant to chat with, and he and his wife, Nikki, write some great pieces involving video games and life in general. The project debuts in November, so keep an eye out for a bunch of pieces from some pretty amazing bloggers!
With that- on with the amusement!
- Ask your best friend/significant other to make an annoying animal sound. How did they react, and what animal did they imitate? Oddly enough, while I don’t ask them to do it often, two of my good friends consistently make velociraptor noises at me. This is usually unprovoked, so I guess their reactions are pretty much to drop in and commit!
- *POOF* I am your barista. Order your favorite coffee shop beverage exactly as you would in real life.
“Hi there, I’d like a latte with white chocolate and cinnamon, if you’ve got it. Thanks!”
This gives me flashbacks to my real job, so I’m usually pretty concise and quick at the counter.
- Do numbers have personalities in your mind? If so, tell me about the personality of the number 6. What’s it’s story? What kind of disposition does it have?
…they didn’t until just now! Huh… what would number 6 be like?
I feel like the number 6 would be a little confident but grounded. Like, she’s always being told how well she does- she’s the best number on most dice used across gaming and she’s even above average in movie and rating scores- but there are so many other numbers in the spotlight (10 is always ready to tell you how great and popular he is, while 1 is overworked because of all of his appearances on graduation and birthday cards, let alone sporting events) that she manages to stay humble and has time to hang out with her good buddies like 8 and 3.
- What is your favorite movie title? Not your favorite movie, just the title, irrespective of the quality of the film. So I’m a huge fan of creative and imagery inducing names for things- this is a toss up between two, though, one I love- Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind- and one I couldn’t even get through- The Red Queen Kills Seven Times. Both of them just evoke some intriguing imagery in my mind.
- Story time! Your best friend suddenly finds themselves in the body of your least favorite animal. Craft a story of five sentences or less with this unfortunate predicament as a central plot mechanic. Bonus points if it’s the same animal they chose to imitate.
Seeing my best friend- my confidante and creative springboard- emerge from the hallway with a foreign chirp, leading with a scaled talon as his head bobbed into view. If any noise eked out of my throat when I saw what had approached, it was inaudible to me. My mind went blank then immediately burst with escape options. As I heard his clawed feet bound away from the floor, I realized my only safety would be through the front door. I just had to get there before-
(…I’m a horror fan. Had to stay true to my roots!)
- Tell me. Do Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?
Literally all the time. The first advice I ever got from my buffalo friend from Buffalo was never to trust a Buffalo buffalo. I now pass this knowledge on to you.
- Tell us about the most boring game show you could ever imagine.
Announcer: “And now, from the creators of Watch That Paint and Ceiling Tile Counters comes the game show version of the game you loved as a kid: The Quiet Game! We put three people in three separate rooms with no entertainment, no windows- and no noise! The last person to make a noise will receive our grand prize: a trip to space camp in Orlando, Florida!”
I had to add that last part. I grew up on Nickelodeon game shows.
- Useless Superpower Bedbug: The Return!
Which of the following useless superpowers would choose and why?
– The ability to randomly add cat meows to every song on the radio
– The ability to randomly add the Pizza Planet truck from Toy Story to even the most intense of any movie scene
– The ability to randomly add Owen Wilson saying “WOW” to any line of dialog in a video game Oh, the third one for sure. There’s some pretty terrible game dialogue in some of these works coming out every so often and if I’m going to have some power, I want to be able to use it liberally and for comedic value.
- What is the hexadecimal color code for your favorite color?
It would have to be somewhere around #dba80f. Maybe a little closer to #efbc21 but definitely not #b78a00. I mean, really. What do you take me for?
- On a scale of one to 15,742.58, how do you feel about these super specific questions?
I mean, I definitely needed these and enjoy answering random question, though coming up with specifics made me a little nervous. We’re really cutting into some of my deepest thoughts on this one. I did get to go out of my comfort zone a bit, though, so let’s say it’s about 13,364.236 on the given scale!
That was pretty fun! I hope some of that was entertaining for you folks, too, even if it was a bit of a deviation from the video game stuff I usually post. In lieu of nominating a bunch of other folks for the award (honestly, usually everyone I know has been nominated already for things like this and they are all amazingly talented and creative), I’m going to respond with one hopefully thought provoking question on here and on Twitter. I know I’m a bit of a spoilsport, but if I do this to each of the awards I get nominated for, hopefully it’ll make up for my lack of nominees? Maybe?
All right, so my “Thought Provoking Mega Question Prompted By An Award”- and I’ll even make it Super Specific to honor my new friend who nominated me for this one:
What is your favorite thing that you have to steal or otherwise take using a mechanic from an NPC in a video game?
Feel free to shoot an answer into the comments or over on Twitter, and definitely go check out the blog over at Normal Happenings, where there is some amazing content being put out all the time.
Have a great day, folks!
– Matt a.k.a. The3rdPlayer