Despite having blogged about video games and the like for a while now, I only joined WordPress a couple of years ago. It was also only recently that I really started to work to be more social and present on Twitter. Both of these moves feel like they were for the best for a number of reasons, but I can honestly say I never expected to meet some of the awesome and welcoming members of the community.
One of those folks over at Nostalgia Trigger was kind enough to nominate me for the Mystery Blogger Award- which has absolutely floored me with appreciation. Admittedly, I’m way too humble (or terrible at taking compliments) to go on for too long about it, so I’ll just cap this off with- thanks, and you should totally check out some of that stuff over on their blog!
If my sources are right, the creator of this award over at https://www.okotoenigmasblog.com/ made this award to help spread the word of blogs with ingenious posts that can inspire, captivate, and motivate. Really, the ultimate goal seems to be to create a stronger community. That’s a purpose I definitely dig, so- without further ado:
- Put the award logo/image on your blog. (Check it at the top!)
- List the rules.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well.
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
- You have to nominate 10 – 20 people.
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog.
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny
- Share a link to your best post(s).
Seems easiest to just go point by point so- read on to check out my responses and some other cool stuff!
Three things about me:
- I have been married for almost eight years to my amazing husband. We met over a video game website and we decided to be boyfriends over a playthrough of The Simpsons at the arcade. Our engagement rings are tattooed on our ankles, and they are images of the Promist Ring from Final Fantasy Tactics. We also play through Secret of Mana once a year in one way or another. In short- I married another crazy gamer who enjoys this hobby as much as I do (and more in certain ways).
- I consider myself super artistically inclined. I’ve done theater for years (musical and otherwise), independent film and voice acting (including a national commercial and a film that toured in New England), music (singing and some instruments), writing (obviously, though I’ve done fiction and screenwriting, as well) and art. If it comes to expression and creativity, I have tried it or love doing it.
- My most recent endeavor has been to learn how to bake. I enjoy cooking and mixology, but my most recent culinary passion has been in making things like crème brûlée, Madeleines, and looking into other things to create. Something about flavor profiles and bringing others satisfaction through desert ahs been really fulfilling and who knows- maybe I could extend it toward gaming sometime!
My Best Post:
If I’m reading this right- and most likely, I’m not- my best viewed post to date is from way back when I wrote about 5 Scary Games to Play This Season, which is a fun fact to think about considering how much I love survival horror games and have been returning to them recently.
If I were to choose my best or favorite one from a writer’s viewpoint, I would have to choose my Fire Emblem Series Overview (which needs a little updating now). It was one of my first passion pieces about a series or game that I truly knew my way around and could write at length about with ease. While I might toss this up with my Zombies Ate My Neighbors Pop Culture Study, which took a ton of research didn’t quite make the splash some of my other overviews have, I’m definitely proud of the pieces that took a bit of digging to put to text. I also enjoy informing and teaching about these topics, which helps them hold a special place in my repertoire.
Answering Nostalgia Trigger’s Questions:
What animal would you come back as in your next life?
Lot of tough choices to rationalize through, so if I went with my first main pull? A ferret. I had two of them growing up, and they are just, like, astonishing little creatures. Their names literally mean “little thief” and they sleep all the time. I’m guaranteeing there are downsides, but I’m going to stick with my first choice without too much thought. 🙂
Favorite music album to listen to, straight through?
Tragic Kingdom from No Doubt with the key words being “straight through”. I enjoy plenty of modern music of all different kinds of genres, but I can’t think of an album I’ve listened the entire way through and wanted to listen to every track again, at least not at the moment. I listened to the Tragic Kingdom album for a good amount of my musically formative years from end to end.
What dish is your favorite to cook?
I guess I kind of accidentally already answered this above, but I could always pick a fun one, given I haven’t really done intense cooking in a while. My cooking skills are probably where I’m at my weakest in my culinary pursuits, but one dish I enjoy making is meat patties involving beef, spices (usually Indian or South American), and encasing it in biscuits to bake. They’re pretty awesome for a low-cost and tasty meal.
Fondest memory of your younger years?
As a young pre-horror fan, I distinctly remember that before I had the nerve to watch the movies themselves, my mother would tell me about horror movies she watched growing up on car rides. It wasn’t until fourth or fifth grade that I started watching horror movies like crazy. Those stories and watching horror movies with her growing up were awesome bonding experiences and are definitely among the fondest memories I have.
What triggers your nostalgia?
There are so many ways to answer this, and most of them are video game related. Opening trills from video games tend to do the trick- specifically from Secret of Mana, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and the organ from the beginning of Final Fantasy III (VI). The ring sounds from the beginning of Sonic the Hedgehog are right up there, too. Those are definitely the best nostalgia triggers for me!
Five Questions for My Nominees:
What is the most memorable scene in a video game you’ve ever played?
Where would you like to visit that you’ve never been to before?
What inspired you to begin blogging?
What is another hobby you take part in regularly aside from gaming?
You can have any one superpower. What would you have?
I definitely want to try to recommend a bunch of people I haven’t seen nominated yet, so I’m hoping that I’ve done that, and my apologies if I’ve double nominated anyone!
Red Metal at Extra Life – since my earliest days on WordPress, I’ve been checking out their blog and have enjoyed the hell out of their reviews- including some pretty awful games this past month! Definitely willing to go the extra mile to bring some critical analysis to the blogosphere and a solid read with every post.
Particlebit – recently, Particlebit has branched out into board games and other pop culture, but their blog has mostly centered around video gaming. This is a pretty great blog to get all of your gaming needs met, whichever sphere you spend time in.
CheapBossAttack – A newer addition to my blog repertoire, we seem to have similar gaming interests and I’ve been enjoying his updates, including weekly check-ins on what he’s been playing and what he will be playing over the weekend. Also, a fellow SMT fan, so that’s a huge bonus. 🙂
Nick the Gent at Deconstructing Video Games – offering thoughtful and thorough retrospectives on games, Nick has lived up to the name in every way I’ve encountered, and the love and investment in the games written about is readily apparent.
The entire team over at The Well-Red Mage – seriously, there has not been an article that I haven’t found thought provoking and entertaining. While this nomination goes out to their whole crew (of which there are many talented bloggers), The Well-Red Mage has done so much to promote a well-being and geniality in the gaming community that it’s hard not to recognize the efforts being put forth.
Thanks again to Nostalgia Trigger from the nomination, and I hope my nominees enjoy themselves!